Friday 3 February 2012

Thoughts week of January 23-27

This week I presented a pretty much finished version of my first piano piece.
People's comments were:
-Try a hand-over-hand moving downwards motion (a previous suggestion that I had forgotten about)
- Fix ties in the MIDI file and make sure they are actual ties, rather than slurs.
-Fix a few beaming issues in my asymmetrically-metered bars.
-Listen to Debussy and Barber pieces for more 'water' music inspiration

I think these were all good comments. I didn't get quite to what I had hoped to get in this piece, but maybe it's a good reality check for how much time I actually have to spend working on a piece.

2 comments:

  1. Good post! Not sure what you were getting at in your last comment… Are you saying that you need to spend more time working on your pieces, or that you are already spending a lot of time doing this? Just curious. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have the (fairly stupid) idea that it's best to gather most of the piece in my head and then write it down at the last minute. Obviously this is a bad idea, but it's hard to get out of that habit and into the habit of writing things down as I go, even if it's just a little bit each day. I'm usually afraid I'll forget everything I've thought of if I just write down bits so I wait til it's pretty much a full piece in my head before I notate it. That makes me rushed, so I think I mean that I need to use my time more wisely and safely.

    ReplyDelete